Re: Installing on eMachines eMonster 1000

Am So, den 04.01.2004 schrieb Robert L Cochran um 07:16:
> Hello,
>
> I'm installing Fedora from installation CD's on an eMachines eMonster
> 1000. This machine is running Microsoft Windows XP. The goal is to dual
> boot XP and Fedora. I added a second hard drive onto which Fedora will
> be installed. Pentium III, 1 Ghz system. The motherboard is an Anaheim,
> either the 2, 2A, or 3 -- I think probably the Anaheim-3 but can't be
> sure. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon PCI 7500.
>
> All the installation CDs passed the media checking.

Good.

> When I try to boot from CD #1 to start the install, the hard drive light
> goes on for a long time. Then the line
>
> ISOLINUX...
>
> shows up and remains there with no other monitor activity for more than
> 60 seconds.
>
> Sometimes, the ISOLINUX... line is blanked out and the system boots
> Windows XP.
>
> Sometimes, the ISOLINUX... is replaced with the graphical Fedora Core
> splash and the familiar boot: prompt.
>
> If I then press <enter> to start the default install, or type
>
> linux acpi=on
>
> the hard drive light will go on, and the installer will load very
> slowly. That is, vmlinuz and initrd will load with glacial slowness. So
> does everything after that. I will come to the screen where I'm offered
> a media check. I skip that. Progress continues with extreme slowness,
> always accompanied by a brightly lit hard drive light. In fact the CD/RW
> light doesn't seem to come on as often as it should given this is a CD
> install.

If you directly boot Windows XP all is fast? Your describtion sounds to
me like a hardware problem with the CD drive. So on WinXP it is usable
without any problem?

> Maybe I need to pass
>
> linux acpi=on hdc=ide-scsi?

For a start I would leave acpi call away and the ide-scsi call is only
needed when you want your CD/RW to use for CD burning. During install I
would leave that away. You can define that afterwards.

> The BIOS doesn't seem to have a "Plug and Play OS" option. Under
> advanced options one can select from "Win98/Win2000", "Win95", or
> "Other". I tried booting under "Win98/Win2000" and "Other".

Other might be the correct and certainly means no plug 'n pray OS.

> What could be causing these problems?

Hard to say. Maybe your machine needs special kernel parameters, even to
recognize full RAM size. Unfortunately I do not know your motherboard. I
recommend some other boot parameters like disabling acpi, disabling ide
dma. If you have a BIOS option for changing APIC try mode 1.1 instead of
1.4.

> Thanks
>
> Bob

Alexander