Re: Turning off kazaa (used to be: file sharing for linux)

> 1) is my system at risk as well if they use kazaa? and...

Kazaa is an extreme security risk. If you room mates computers are
compromised and you do not have some sort of firewall between your
computer and theirs, then your computer could also be compromised.

Not only is it a security risk it installs all kinds of other stuff on
your computer. My wife used to use it. I tried to delete it but it ended
up installed again. I think they associate some file types with the
kazaa and it re-installs itself when you access that file type. I not
only sucks up your network bandwidth but it also uses your CPU. For
what, I have no idea. I tried to use my wife's computer one day and it
would not work. One of the kazaa plug-ins was using 100% of the CPU
resources. I looked up the plug-in and it was supposed to be keeping
track of the certain types of music that being down loaded.

> 2) can anyone tell me how to block access to kazaa?

I don't know how to do this but there was an article in one of the Linux
magazines about this last year (Linux Journal or Linux Magazine) At the
time of the article there did not appear to be any firewall that could
block it easily. They do a whole bunch of things to intentionally make
it hard to filter out the traffic with a firewall. The article mentioned
some crazy things likes having to block all TCP/IP traffic from the
suspect computer for several minutes in order to successfully block it.
If I remember correctly, one of the firewall groups was working on
something to block it.

You would have to be absolutely nuts to install this stuff on your
computer.