Re: vmware 4.0 on Fedora?

On or about 2004-01-03 12:29, Davy Brion whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 18:23, Fritz Whittington wrote:

Thanks for the info! I got a real chuckle out of that! :-) So, they use what they know to be good, but provide us poor shmucks who are compiling our own programs with a compiler they don't trust! Obviously, when I run into a confusing bug in one of my own programs, the first thing I should do is compile it with gcc32, and see if the bug goes away! What a great way to debug a new compiler!

it's not that they don't trust gcc 3.3. gcc 3.3 is probably a better compiler than gcc 3.2. But the kernel just doesn't compile with gcc 3.3. That's it... The reason it doesn't compile with gcc 3.3 is not because gcc 3.3 is not trustworthy, it's just stricter than 3.2

if anything, blame the kernel guys who still have code that doesn't
compile on a stricter compiler.

Thanks to all of you. I think I've got the Big Picture now. As often happens, the Real Reason is a little different from the Official Reason:

Q. Why is the kernel compiled with gcc32 ?
A. It's a known-to-be-good compiler. The compiler used for everything
   else (3.3.2 as shipped with FC1) is somewhat newer.

--
Fritz Whittington
TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org