Re: vmware 4.0 on Fedora?

On or about 2004-01-02 18:33, Ben Steeves whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 19:42, Carey Jung wrote:

Anybody had any luck running Vmware on Fedora? I'm about to give it a
try and was just wondering.

The archives are full of helpful suggestions on the matter, but I can summarize it by the following:

- make sure you have the kernel-source installed for your running kernel

- do 'export CC=gcc32' before running 'vmware-config.pl'

I've seen several posts with this 'export CC=gcc32' caveat and gather that the FC1 kernel was compiled with gcc32, but the supplied default compiler is gcc33. Couldn't we get around this problem by re-compiling the kernel with gcc33, and then we'd be done with it? Is there a web page with some further explanation of all this mysterious mis-match you could point me at?

--
Fritz Whittington
I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none. (Ben Shahn)