Re: Update Fedora to a new Major-Version while running

Owen Taylor wrote:

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:50, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

Hi *,

will it be "official supported" to update from one Fedora-Core to the
next major Fedora-Core Version while the machine is doing it's normal
(server) work? Like a "rpm -F *" on a RHL8 machine in a directory with a
rpms of RHL9. (Does this really work? I never tried, but was told it would.)

I think the answer to this is that if people are interested in it, and are willing to do the necessary work of:

- Testing
- Fixing problems they find

Than it can be a feature of Fedora; it's not something that, as far as
I know, Red Hat is going to spend engineering resources on, but that
doesn't constrain the possible features of Fedora.

(rpm -Fvh * doens't really quite work, but yum, apt-rpm, etc. can make a closer approximation to what the installer does on an upgrade.)

Regards,
					Owen