Re: Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

On 23 Sep 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 17:15, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> >
> > Red Hat doesn't have to do a Fedora Core. We could focus all our efforts
> > on RHEL and tell everyone who doesn't want to pay us $$$ to stop
> > bothering us. We are doing a Fedora Core. We're trying to make the
> > developers and the open source community happy. We're trying to give
> > them a chance to make a really good Linux distribution in the spirit and
> > style of Red Hat Linux.
>
> I'd add to this, while the Fedora Project is something I hope
> non-Red-Hat people are excited about, it's not purely an effort to make
> people happy. It's intended to be a worthwhile project for Red Hat, for
> all its contributors, and for the target audience.
>
> The Fedora Project and also our architecture announcement today
> (http://www.redhat.com/software/architecture/) reflect a belief in the
> value of the open source approach.
>
> Havoc

Much of the concern that has been expressed involves the stability of the
Fedora releases.  With Redhat branded releases we were assured that they
went through a disciplined testing and quality methodolgy.

It is my impression that this formal process will not apply to the Fedora
Project.  While Redhat personnel will supervise the Fedora testing it will
be much less disciplined and thorough than what we're used to.

In other words, it will be suitable for hobbyists and home use but not
for any serious applications.  Is this true?

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer