Re: rpm lockups - argh

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 21:43, Barry K. Nathan wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:25:53AM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > Would I be correct in assuming that this won't help in the least for
> > > graphical updaters or other apps, as they most likely use librpm?  (and
> > > wouldn't use that alias anyhow even if they didn't)  I almost never use
> > > the plain rpm command.  :(
> >
> > How do you know it's rpm locking up then, if you almost never use the
> > plain rpm command? (If up2date tracebacks for some reason and you didn't
>
> Because in the instances I *do* use plain RPM, is *also* locks up.  It
> never locks up when using apt or yum, now that I think on it - just
> plain rpm and the redhat-install-packages utility.  I never use up2date,
> since it refuses to work w/ Rawhide, only the Severn beta, which isn't
> what I want.

You can use up2date to get rawhide, as this is basically what the severn
update channel supplies.

Also just because rpm won't work it doesn't mean it caused the lockup,
the lockup is caused by the previous application not clearing up the locks
properly or being killed before it has a chance to do so.

	Michael Young