RE: transition from red hat 9 to fedora

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Ryan J. Zygar wrote:

>If only they could build in the drivers at the sites of _my_ graphic card so
>I did't have to rebuild the kernel everytime the release one.
>
>ATI Radeon 9600.
>
>But ah well

Um, excuse me.  I spent half a weekend a few weeks ago, of my own
personal time backporting support for Radeon 9200/9600/9800 from
XFree86 CVS along with patches donated by ATI, and a bunch of my
own hacking efforts.  I have posted numerous times to these
mailing lists requesting people to TEST this new support out and
to REPORT BUGS and issues with hardware that does not detect yet.

To date, I've received only a couple of minor bug reports.  I
don't see any bug reports in bugzilla with your email address on
them either.

The current driver supports most ATI Radeon and FireGL hardware,
with the exception of a few of the latest chips released.  I
don't get anywhere near half as much information and feedback
from people having problems that I'd _like_ to get, and so I add
support for new chips in a conservative manner which isn't likely
to break the driver while adding new hardware support.

Since there is not a massive assault of bug reports and RFEs in
bugzilla about missing Radeon hardware support, I can't exactly
classify this work as super high priority work to do with my Red
Hat on my head.  It is high priority for my personal spare time
as a volunteer, but even that time is consumed by many things.

Complain about missing support if you like, but it will remain
"missing support" unless there are *POLITE* bug reports in
bugzilla detailing the problem, and including X server log,
config file, and other information.

Support gets added as I have time, and as I receive feedback from
people.  Also, overly negative feedback or complaining isn't a
huge motivator to drop what I'm doing and spend my
Saturday/Sunday updating a video driver.  I'd rather watch a DVD
or go out for the weekend....