Re: mp3 help...

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 22:44, Chris Spencer wrote:
> > I'm kindof surprised how so many people who are NOT lawyers seem
> > to think they know more about worldwide intellectual property law
> > than a team of REAL lawyers.
>
> If it is at all questionable then it should be excluded from the
> distribution.  Everyone wants to take a bite out of Linux.  It can't
> succeed if it is encumbered by patents.  I applaud Red Hat for making
> the correct decision of distancing itself from litigation.
>
> Moreover....if you are choosing a Linux distribution that includes MP3
> support LOOK OUT.  Even an unsuccessful lawsuit is costly.  I doubt if
> your Linux distribution would survive a successful one.

OK, you're right. You have to respect the law anyway. So, if the law
says that's illegal to distribute MP3 programs, Redhat is right not to
distribute them.

> Besides all this OGG is every bit as good.  Who cares if it isn't the
> first thing on the market.  It's open and free.  It's the right choice.

The only problem with OGG is that it's not supported by most mobile
music players. I have one of them and it only supports MP3 and WMA. So,
I have to rip my CDs in MP3 so that I can listen to them on my mobile
music player...