Re: mp3 help...

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Chris wrote:

>> And has been said 500 times in the past as well *EVERY* single
>> time this stupid MP3 debate comes up, Red Hat is a USA
>> corporation, subject to the laws of the United States of America
>> worldwide.  Consult past discussions on various mailing lists,
>> and an US IP attorney for further details.
>
>eh? What kind of stupidness is this?  If RedHat were based in Germany there
>wouldn't be any mp3 support either!
>
>I am new to this mailing list and I havn't read the 500 other discussions on
>the topic, but I know that the DMCA is not the reason why mp3 support is not
>added to RedHat.  I thought the reason was because of licensing issues
>related to mp3s, not the DMCA.
>
>Can we please stop bashing the USA!

There are MULTIPLE reasons why MP3 support are not present in the
distribution.  One is the patent issue, another is the GPL
disallowing patented bits to be in GPL code.  There are other
issues, and I don't think they need to be rehashed and
rediscussed every 10 days for eternity.  The discussions are not
going to introduce any new arguments from anyone out there in any
country ever.  The situation is unlikely to change ever.  Red
Hat's legal status in the matter isn't going to change.

All these discussions prove is that history repeats itself like a
broken record.