Re: Certification -- might I suggest LPI to _augment_ your Red Hat certification?

Quoting "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm wondering about this as well.  I had started to study for my RHCE
> using RH 9.  I figured that it would be beneficial for both RHL *and* RHEL,
> and of course RHL is no more.  So, I'm trying to decide whether it is
> worth it to continue.

First off, let Red Hat _clarify_ their certification plans before moving on.
All they have seemingly done is clarify their re-certification of existing
RHCT/RHCEs at this point.

> There is no way in hell that I can afford any of the RHES offerings for
> home use, there's no way in hell that my boss will allow me to mess with
> the RHES AS server that we have up, as it's a production machine.

Secondly, you _can_ (or at least could previously) get RHEL AS as a low-cost
(sub-$100?) "developer" subscription.  It's not guaranteed (let alone
supported) as the full version, but it _does_ give you a "developer" version --
something you could run athome.

Third, you can always build from SRPMs as well.  There are various HOWTOs
available.  Red Hat _does_ give you the tools to do it too.

> So, if RHCE won't correlate to Fedora, then there's really no point
> in my spending my money.

Lastly, might I suggest LPI to _augment_ your Red Hat certification?  This is
not a LPI v. Red Hat statement, just that it can't hurt to get both.  LPI is
big in Japan and Germany, the US being #3 in LPI certifications, and there are
only 69 LPIC-2 certified individuals in the US.

-- Bryan "TheBS" Smith
   RHCE9, LPIC-2, Linux+

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx  http://thebs.org
There is no greater ignorance than the popular American environ-