Re: RedHat SRPMS

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 01:33 PM, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

Red Hat, EL or Linux, bring source code under GPL or BSD or Xfree or others OSI licenses.
But binary code, ISO images, Red Hat logos, and the *Red Hat(TM)* do not are under
those licenses, instead -> http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_us_2-1.html?country=United+States&;

Binary code is a "translation" of source. The compiler acts as a translator between high and low level languages: C or similar on one side, and the machine instruction set on the other. By article 0 of the GPL, this translation equates to a modification of the work and is covered by the GPL license.

I do not know if this fact has any precedence in court, but translations of works have been covered under copyright law for centuries.

I do not see how binary code can jump to a different copyright structure if it was made from GPL source.

Federico

Rocks Cluster Group, San Diego Supercomputing Center, CA