RE: Fedora and the System Administrator -- are my assumptions on SuSE incorrect?

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 22:45, Buck wrote:
> For those of you who like to keep fresh blood on your hands, Fedora
> might be better.  In this field, I am probably the old man (45) and I
> don't care to see blood too long, especially if its my own.

Old!?

My youngest just told us he's getting married this spring.  My grandkids
surf the net like pros.  I even remember some time spent walking around
Viet Nam.  You're still a youngster! ;)

I'm looking forward to Fedora.  I like the idea of walking the edge...
on my home desktop that is.  That said, I'm still going to take some
precautions.  I'm going to set my home server up on Debian stable.  I
don't have a need for the latest and greatest there.  I may also dual
boot with another distro (probably Debian testing).  It may be a home
machine, but I've still got real work to do on it so I want a backup
desktop in case Fedora breaks something I need to use.  Then again, I
may just keep two Fedora installs.  If an update breaks something, I can
fall back to the other install until it gets fixed.

At work, on the other hand, I'm pushing for RHEL.  Our IT people don't
want to hear the word linux.  In fact, some of the discussions on this
list remind me of what I hear from them!  "Fedora support isn't proven.
It changes too fast.  I need something more stable. etc."  Replace
Fedora with Linux and Red Hat Linux with Windows and I can hear them!
(Please... I'm not comparing RH to Microsoft... just pointing out the
similarity in the arguements I hear from the IT powers at work and what
I've read on this list).  I've almost got the people our IT folks report
to convinced to give me a few old machines so I can set up a server and
thin net with win4lin to run the windows stuff we 'have' to have (at
least until I can show them they can be moved to linux apps). Security,
not price, is their main concern. I guess you could say I'm not very
high on our IT department's 'most favorite' list. Oh well!  They don't
sign my check and I don't have to report to them.  But I digress...

For me, Fedora looks like it's going to be fun.  For work, RHEL looks
good.  I do hope RH comes out with someting to fill the gap between the
two, though.  There is definately a need for a stable SOHO, edu and even
home use RH distro.  I would like to use it for my home server and for
my wife's machine but the cost isn't worth it me.

What I would like to see is RH offer a RHS(oho)L. Every 12 to 18 months
(ask your users RH) take the then current Fedora release and a subset of
the extras and promise security updates for 6 months past the next RHSL
release date for a $60 annual basic subscription to RHN.  More than one
box at your location? How about $100 for a multi box account plus $25
per machine. Too much to ask for?  Beats me... I've never tried to do
it!

Doug