RE: Fedora and the System Administrator

While it may appear that Red Hat's decision to drop those of us in the
gap was an oversight, I am sure that management there gave it great
thought.  Our town went thru almost a transformation with masses of
mergers and businesses changing the way they do business.  In many
cases, I had a relationship with someone in management or someone who
did.  In each case the management of those businesses weighed the affect
it would have on their customer base.  Many times I heard where the
business expected to lose 15% of their business, or 25% of their
customers or 10% of their profits due to the changes.  But they also
estimated a time of recovery and a level of growth over a 5 year period
that would put them in a much better market position then compared to
what they would have if they didn't make the changes.

I don't think Red Hat made this decision without considering both the
costs and the benefits.  They would have to be total idiots to realize
that they left this gap (in which I reside).  Just like some of the
decisions made by local businesses here, Red Hat will most probably lose
me as a customer, not in protest or in anger, but because it would be a
bad business decision for me to stick with them at this time.

Many of you have been loyal to Red Hat and yet you are now without.  But
where should Red Hat place their focus?  If more than 50% of their
customer base provides less than 50% of their income, they should turn
their attention towards the market of the lesser percent customer base
and larger percent income (probably profit is a better word here.)  I
have no doubt that is what they have done.  Those of us Gap-ites just
need to seek an alternative solution to our problems.  It's not like we
have a lot of choice here.

Note to Peter Boy:  Sorry, this started out as a friendly comment to the
remark about "the gap does really existst" and it turned into a vent.
Don't take it personal or be upset.

Thanks,
Buck