Re: RedHat SRPMS

On Oct  3, 2003, Federico Sacerdoti <fds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> 3a)
>> "..which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2
>> above on a medium customarily used for software interchange.."

> I could reliably argue that this (3a) means the Internet.

IANAL, but IMHO you're be arguing wrong.  It can be any medium
customarily used for software interchange.  As cheating as it might
sound, I don't think there's anything wrong with `you get the binaries
on CD, and the sources in a pile of 500 floppy disks' :-)  Heck, even
downloading the binaries from the net without offering the sources for
download would be legitimate, as long as the pile of 500 floppy disks
would be shipped to any third party who demanded them.

I don't see it as different if the sources come only in a DVD, while
binaries come in CD.  DVDs are customarily used for software
interchange these days, aren't they?  But what if I don't have a DVD
player?  The GPL doesn't have to be convenient for me, just like it
doesn't have to be inconvenient to the distributor.

> Otherwise, you are making the source "more difficult" to get
> in some sense, and are violating 3a) almost by definition.

The thing to keep in mind is that downloading being easier for you
doesn't make it easier for everybody.  Those behind slow network
connections, or paying for the amount of traffic, or even without a
network connection, could be not-exactly-pleased if the only way they
could get the sources is by downloading them.