Re: NVidia drivers cause Segmentation Faults in RH9 and Fedora Core beta

You aren't installing the drivers properly, or Fedora/Red Hat is munging
them up.  The NVIDIA drivers use a highly accelerated, custom GL driver,
so you have to disable the XFree86 Mesa GL driver.  Any RPM upgrades of
Mesa/XFree86 will generally overwrite the nVidia library with the
incorrect Mesa library.

You have to rerun the nvidia-installer utility after these packages are
upgraded.  You also need to read the README and make sure you installed
the driver correctly; namely, make sure your XF86Config file is setup
right (i.e., you aren't loading incorrect modules).

If you go to the NVIDIA Linux Forum, you'll get better answers than
here.  You can also find there an init script I wrote for RH9/Fedora
which on boot will *attempt to* detect and correct corrupted/munged
NVIDIA driver installations.  At least, the script works well enough for
me.  (It handles both kernel and XFree86/Mesa upgrades, assuming you
have the kernel-source package for your running kernel installed, and a
'net connection available at bootup time.)

--
Sean Middleditch <elanthis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.