RE: Installation problem on Compaq Notebook

Hi Chris,

> Did you try going into the bios settings and turning off legacy USB
> support?  Had to do that on 2100 series Presario laptops.

it was the legacy USB support of the BIOS. Now I can at least boot and can
choose my language.
But as soon as I get to the installation method and choose CDROM there
Fedora responds that it cannot find any CDROM.
Alt+F3 tells me that he tries to mount hdc. Because it is a DVD/CD-RW I
included already at the boot screen hdc=ide-scsi, otherwise I would have a
lot of errors on console 4 like previously. Without ide-scsi emulation
you'll have ATAPI errors.

<4>hdc: ATAPI reset complete
<4>hdc: status error: status=0x20 { DeviceFault }
<4>hdc: status error: error=0x20LastFailedSense 0x02
<4>end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 64
<4>isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=16:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32
... aso (lines above are repeated)

Those error messages won't appear anymore with the switch hdc=ide-scsi.
Therefore on console 3 I have the message:
* no devices to activate
* trying to mount Cd device hdc

I even tried different variations with noapic, acpi=on and ide=nodma. No
progress with that.

The LED of the disk stays on, CTRL+ALT+DEL sends the reboot signal, LED
still stays and doesn't really reboot. Had to switch the notebook off and on
again.

Any hints? Or is the self-burned CD simply damaged?

Regards, Thomas

P.S.: Sorry, if someone retrieves this email more than one time. But it
seems that either my provider or the mailinglist server from Redhat has
problems with the delivery.

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
Version: AVK 14.0.95 from 25.11.2003