Re: NFS performance..

Craig White wrote:

----
I was hoping to see some interest in this thread as I am about to do the
same thing - obvious the permissions on the NAS aren't the same if you
use Samba

Craig

I eventually worked out why there was such a huge write performance difference between NFS and Samba..

Basically Samba by default will buffer writes to the hard drive.. NFS will not, NFS will confirm that the data has bee written to dike before it continues which means that the data integrity is taking preference ofer performance when using NFS..

You can override this by adding the "async" option to the NFS export.. when you do this NFS will buffer the writes and is actually then faster than Samba (probably down to the fact that its using UDP instead of TCP).. When buffering the writes in any system there is a chance of data loss in the event of a power failure or a server crash..

Anyway I found this quite useful that I am able to decied on a per export basis wheather its more important to have write performance or data integrity..

So I will certainly be using NFS for my system because there will be no Windows systems that I need to maintain communications with..

Later..