cursor theme

Hi

I have installed a cursor scheme into ~/.icons/

When i first start the computer up and log into my account, the cursor theme
i installed appears for a few seconds, but then disappears and is replaced
by the default gnome scheme. This seems to happen when the box pops up
telling me which parts of gnome are loading. If i then log out, and log
straight back in, i get my custom cursor theme working as it should be.

Why would this be happening? Do i need to do something else but install the
theme to ~/.icons/ ?

thanks
Simon