RE: RAID options under Fedora

Brian wrote:

Subject: RE: RAID options under Fedora

Cut...

  Just a quick reminder: I was asking about the low-end market-
nothing so complex as anything you'd put into a NOC...it sounds
like these cards are the next generation of ass-kicking RAID cards
for the foreseeable future...I just wanted some assurance that SW
RAID (or cheap
hardware) could be counted upon to work in a more hobbyist-sense.

    I've bookmarked the page; if I get to a "real" RAID
environment, outside my basement, I'll give it another look.  :)
Thanks!

Brian,

The latest 2 port board, the 7006-2 from 3ware costs only about
$120.00 and takes 2 IDE drives and makes them look like a single
SCSI disk to the O/S. /dev/sdx. It supports RAID 0 striping or
RAID 1 Mirroring.

Shop around and you may be able to pick it up for less. It will
half your disk I/O overhead when used to mirror drives and even
gives you hot swap capability along with the mirroring.

I use it in my workstation and we have many customers that need it
for data integrity to keep their workstations and servers up even
if a disk fails.

Best

Seth Bardash

Integrated Solutions and Systems