KDE menu / defaults after upgrade from RH8

Hi list!

I've upgraded from RH8 to FC1 a couple of weeks ago. So far, so good!. I'm very pleased with the result.

Now, I feel myself more comfortable under KDE, so I've chosen KDE as my default desktop. It seems to me that FC1 has inherited the RH "preference" for Gnome. For example, the Login Manager is gdm, no matter I've chosen KDE as my desktop (I'd like to use kdm instead). The menu has some entries that just don't apply to KDE (Preferences -> More Preferences -> Sessions is an example). And there is this "defaults" thing around too... I think if the uses chooses KDE, then *that* should take precedence to make the defaults.
Ok, I know that this is hard... and in the other hand, I like the standardization work that RH started with "Bluecurve" in order to provide a consistent Look&Feel.

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that I did an upgrade, and not a fresh install... Would the result had been better if I did a fresh install? Will Fedora "push" Gnome over KDE as RedHat did? I'm just curious... Please, I don't want to start a flame-war here!
Even if FC chooses to enforce Gnome, I'd like to see (maybe as extras), some nice packages to KDE-iffy ;) the installation in the future... without having to change manually the menu files, defaults, init scripts and the like (which is *very* annoying and hard to do)

If the menu issues have to do with the upgrade, is there a way to get rid of my menu structure and install the new one? How?

--
Mariano