Re: Flash License

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 08:33, William Penton wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 11:26, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > You can always try the Free Software implementations :)
> >
> >   swfdec
> >   flash
> >
>   where and how can i get those packages?
>
>   -william

Unfortunately the free software implementations are currently almost
unusable because they lack important functionality, and we never will be
able to have all functionality because doing so would violate several
patents.  The ones that I know about are Fraunhofer (sp?) and Sorenson.
There are undoubtedly more.

It is my understanding that swfdec depends on libmad (MP3 codec), so in
any country with software patents it is incompatible with the LGPL
license that it is published under.

Warren