Re: Making RPMs?

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:59:26 +0100
Tarjei Knapstad <tarjeik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> See the Fedora Developers Guide:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/developers-guide/
>
> and these Wiki pages:
>
> http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageSubmissionQAPolicy
> http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines

I have read these and much more but a few things still confuse me.
For instance this is all it says about 'Requires'

If your package requires other packages to be on the system at the time of installation, list them here. Include versions if necessary (for example, somepackage >= 2.0). Multiple entries must be separated by a space or a comma. Explicit file dependencies may be listed rather than package dependencies by giving the full path (for example, /sbin/chkconfig).

Is this the same as BuildRequires: ?
Is this for binary RPM or if people compile from SRPM?
How do I find out what -devel packages it uses? (fedora-rmdevelrpms)?

I'm trying to build an RPM so I 'ldd' each library and wrote down the results.
I'll paste what it had as an example for the next question.

gtk2-2.2.4-5.1
atk-1.4.0-1
pango-1.2.5-1.1
glib2-2.2.3-1.1
glibc-2.3.2-101.1
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-42
fontconfig-2.2.1-6.1
freetype-2.1.4-5
zlib-1.2.0.7-2
expat-1.95.5-3

I understand RPM takes care of most of this right? well which ones?
This does not include devel packages. fedora-rmdevelrpms from what I read
can fix this and I have it. But this is the only way? I normally find deps
by installing any packages close to what the error is. I hope there is a more
efficient way then removing 30 packages.