Re: NVIDIA driver compile

No thanks.

1) I see no reason to do additional work when rpmbuild -ba will do the
job

2)  Everyone who has done some _serious_ software building will tell you
that compiling from a tar ball is highly unreliable.  configure will
build a different executable depending on what it finds on the machine
and the flags you pass to the configure script.  One of the nice things
about building from an SRPM is that the falgs to configure are well
defined and that the Build-time dependencies ensure you won't build a
software so crippled to be nearly unusable (eg a Gimp who doesn't handle
Jpegs)

3) Last but not least when I build from an SRPM I get an RPM.  I don't
want to return to the bad old times where I feared something I installed
would trash my sendmail config, where uninstalling something could break
that half of the programs who depended upon it, where once something was
installed uninstalling became nearly impossible, where I didn't knew
what was on my box and what it did.  If I enjoyed these things I would
be running Slackware.  I don't enjoy them.

BTW, building the Nvidia RPM is trivial, you have just to turn off the
build of a debug RPM

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512@xxxxxxx>