Re: SMP Kernel::Boot Failure-hang at "booting the kernel" [SOLVED]

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 03:52, Dave Jones wrote:
> > I'm not sure. I know that I'm getting two processors to boot now. Top
> > reports both processors, and I get two little penguins on FB boot
> > -always an important indicator.
>
> I think this could be the CONFIG_NR_CPUS patch that's causing this.
> It makes the assumption that APICs are contiguously numbered,
> so if you have them sparsely numbered, you could end up with some
> of them being unused.
>
> This would explain several similar bugs in bugzilla too.
> For those that want to test, setting this option to 32 should
> restore to the previous behaviour.

I hate to disappoint, but I still have the same behavior.

Recompiled the 2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp source with CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32 and
nothing changed.

BIOS ACPI "On" = no boot, hang at "Ok, booting the kernel..."
BIOS ACPI "Off" = everything boots as normal, two CPU's working fine.

Regards,
Joseph