SMP Kernel::Boot Failure-hang at "booting the kernel"

Okay, my final post on this issue unless we can manage to get a thread going.

Background:

Fedora Core SMP kernel hangs when booting. I get the following output-

  Booting 'Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp)'

root (hd0,0)
  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2155.nptlsmp ro root=/dev/Volume00/LogVol00
  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x148493]
initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp.img
  [Linux-initrd @ 0x1ff60000, 0x8dd39 bytes]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel

After some research I've discovered that most of the time this issue comes up as 1) The wrong architecture kernel, or 2) No VT module compiled into the kernel.

2 Is not the case as I'm assuming the SMP kernel uses the same general VT config as the non-SMP kernel, and that shows output just fine. Also, I've recompiled the SMP kernel from source using /boot/config-2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp as my .config and verified that VT and SMP (and other modules that were needed) were in fact part of the compile. No love on any of those fronts, the custom kernel still refuses to boot. Which rules out option 1, the recompiled kernel is indeed from my architecture and still refuses to boot.

My question is, 1) Has anyone seen, and hopefully resolved this issue? and 2) If not, where is the appropriate mailing list to start having a discussion about debugging and solving this issue? It's a serious show stopper for me in the long run, and I'd like to participate in any way necessary to help solve it.

Regards,
Joseph