Re: I think fedora needs...

On Monday 24 November 2003 13:36, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 06:01, Bryan Anderson wrote:
> > Fernando Fernandez wrote:
> > > When i was seduced by the dark side i used ms paint a lot i would
> > > create complex artwork via that little application--its one thing that
> > > calls me Back...to windows--the simple ms paint...
> >
> > Personally - I think that Linux needs:
> >
> > CorelDraw equivalent

Open Office draw manages this for me, there's also Dia and Sodipodi.

> > MS Publisher equivalent

Open Office

> > PhotoShop/PaintShopPro equivalent

Gimp is better than it seems at first meeting it.  There is a MUCH newer
1.3.23 beta version of Gimp available for download from http://www.gimp.org/
too, I think somebody was talking about it earlier as being packaged.  Its
meant to be a beta but I started using it a couple of months ago and its
perfectly stable.

> > Kazaa/Soulseek clients

Bittorrent is pretty good.  I don't use the other P2P any more but there used
to be limewire and other such things that ran on Linux (with Java I think in
the case of limewire).

If you MUST stay with Windows for one or two apps because they just can't come
over, Vmware is a great solution (at $299 tho).  This literally makes your
Windows session a window on your Linux desktop and it runs fully concurrently
sharing the hardware.  Windows runs drivers that fake up hardware while
actually passing the requests through to your regular Linux drivers.  Its
REALLY GOOD, you can even have things like XP and 98 up at the same time
without leaving Linux.  There's a 30-day trial for free at
http://www.vmware.com.

> I think Linux needs less people who make statements such as this
> without:
>
> - bothering to check on the status of projects that might give them what
> they want.

To be fair, it can be a problem finding out what is good and available... its
the kind of thing that it can be difficult to frame in a Google search.   I
heard about Sodipodi the other week from Slashdot, for example, its hard
unless you spend a lot of time reading up on what's going on.
Sourceforge/Freshmeat search by popularity and activity can help but it only
hosts a fraction of the projects that are out there.

This is where the distros can help, by bringing in the best of breed it means
you don't have to have your ear to the ground all the time.  If the original
poster had said "Fedora needs" instead of "Linux needs" then maybe it
wouldn't've got your back up.

> - making contributions to the development of projects that interest
> them.
>
> But hey, that's just me.

Well, fair enough, but its surprisingly hard to frame an email complaining
about someone complaining without inadvertantly becoming guilty of the very
thing you abhor... wouldn't it've been more useful if your email had
contained something more than the same kind of complaint you were complaining
about :?)

- -Andy