Re: block-major-135 and Kernel questions

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, AuntieParticle wrote:

> I have just upgraded from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 using the very helpful
> HowTo here:
> http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~vschmidt/notes/redhat2fedora/index.htm
>
> It all went very well but each time I boot FC1 I see the following error:
>
> modprobe: modprobe can't locate module block-major-135
>
> Then it proceeds through the rest of the boot okay.
>
> I looked up block 135 in devices.txt and it seems to be for SCSI disk
> devices.... of which I have none on my system.  Is there a way to get
> rid of this error?

In /etc/smartd.conf try commenting out the lines that look for scsi devices.
If you do not have a smartd.conf then look more carefully at the logs and
try to see what is probing for the scsi devices.

> Also, since upgrading to FC1 I now have 2 kernels that show up in Grub,
> the one I had with RH9 and the new one that FC1 upgrade installed. FC1
> boots to the new one by default of course and that is just fine. What
> I'd like to know is how can I, or even should I, remove the old kernel?

If the new kernel works good just do "rpm -e old_kernel" where old_kernel is
the kernel you want to rm.