Re: yum vs. up2date

Ryan Daly wrote:
I've looked a little through the manpage for yum and found that it does
alot of what up2date does.

Is there a difference between the two?  Does up2date call yum, or has it
always?  Is yum the replacement for up2date?
--

Up2date is a command line and a GUI enabled program that can download from RHN, apt or yum repositories.

For me, it is an easy to use program.

Up2date has a yum enabled program built into it. You don't need to install yum, but it is wise to have the program installed for "emerengcies".

I use up2date mostly, which seems to work as well as using rpm from locally installed programs. Up2date does get broken a lot. It is mostly due to python related changes.

apt-get with synaptic is a great combination to install programs that are not already installed on your machine. But mostly, I use up2date to retrieve programs available from my repository selections. It usually does a great job.

All three program install/remove programs are very helpful.

Jim