Re: zk rootkit

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 12:39, Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:

> > What you should do against it is remove the server from the net, backup
> > any data (avoiding executables) and reinstall. Then have everyone who
> > ever used a password on the server change their passwords. Rootkits tend
> > to install a backdoor for access (Eg. second sshd) and to replace common
> > binaries (ls, ps) to hide their presence. chkrootkit can only find
> > rootkits that have been sloppily constructed.
>
> Actually, chkrootkit will probably be able to find all but the best, as
> long as the author keeps it up to date. It detects the common
> modifications to binaries as well.

I think chkrootkit is a great tool, but my point is it is only as good
as the executable it is calling. If a rootkit replaced the "test"
functionality of bash to always return false for the existence of the
files making up the rootkit, suddenly that rootkit is invisible. I would
consider any rootkit that replaces binaries, but neglexts to replace
those binaries that can be used to detect it, sloppily written.

It would be straightforward for a rootkit writer to examine all the
tests done by chkrootkit and to replace each binary involved to render a
newly created rootkit "invisible".

Cheers, Ben