Difference between Free Software and Open Source

Adam Debus wrote:
>     Actually, I believe you will find that Linux was originally created
> because Linus had spare time on his hands, and wanted a version of Unix that
> could run on 386 computers. GNU/Hurd was created as an open source project,
> from the start, with the intent of supplying a version of Unix for little or
> no cost.

Actually, the GNU project has nothing to do with "Open Source" and never
did.  GNU started over a decade before the term "Open Source" was coined or
before that movement began.  The GNU project launched the "Free Software"
movement which has profoundly different philosophical underpinnings.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html has more
information on this.