Re: How about slowing down the Fedora release cycle to allow for more QA???

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:37:22 -0600
"Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All,
>
> Okay, this is probably going to immerse me in a flame war, but, to put it
> bluntly, I'm scared spitless.
>
> I've been using RH since 7.2 (okay, I know a bunch of you have been using it
> lots longer), but I can't remember EVER seeing this number of posts on a RHL
> release about things that are non-functional right out of the box.

I am the same as you, A linux-newbie friend of mine tried slackware recently and didn't like it. I was tempted to tell him Fedora since it has so many great 'ideas' but things like yum URL's breaking out of nowhere and rhythmbox just obscenly screwed up. I pointed him to RH 9 instead.

I expected bugs but the part that worrys me is some of this seems to be on purpose, yum's URL's just gone one day.. what the heck was that about? I'm
more of fedoras target market and can work around these things and still be a happy guy but what about the ppl that spend 2 days wondering why updates and package downloads stopped working? For the most part I'm assuming this release was a bit rushed as far as planning and FC 2 will have most of infrastructure ironed out. Then again, maybe not, maybe its Rawhide for ideas, and not just rawhide for software.