Re: USB Pen Drive?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:01:42AM +0000, Bryan Anderson wrote:
[...]
> I followed teh instructions above, then tried to mount it again as above
> and got the same error. However....bit of thinking, I tried mounting it
> with mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/flash (no 1 after the sda) and it
> works.
[...]

Right, I've seen flash drives with all kinds of partitioning schemes,
/dev/sda, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda4 . So if a user asks me to make their
flash drive available, I usually run fdisk on the drive to see the
partition layout and modify fstab accordingly.

BTW: is there a way to autodetect which partition is present? Windows
seems to pull that off without the user even knowing that such a drive
has a partition table at all.

David Jansen