Re: can't update mozilla with up2date

Timothy Murphy wrote:
On Thursday 20 November 2003 20:33, Ken Chamberlain wrote:

Yes... "up2date --show-orphans" should show you any upgrade leftovers
(as well as non-FC1 extras).

Can one safely remove these packages?
If so, is there anything better than "rpm -e" ?

(I'm not clear if up2date keeps a record of what it does
separate to rpm's record.)

The up2date --show-orphans feature is pretty decent. The information pointed only to other sources (Freshrpms, realplayer, etc)

I had problems with up2date installing from my local directory. I downloaded the 1.5-1 version of mozilla into a local directory (included in listing of /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources )

What happened when I ran up2date was that only three rpms were installed for mozilla. Mail was not installed. I also tried running rpm -Uvh mozilla*.rpm and it did not install the additional rpms. If I installed the 1.5-1 versioned rpms individually, with rpm -U <packagename>, it installed alright.

Is there a change with rpm so that rpm -Uvh <packagename> doesn't install available programs?

Why would grouped rpms, like with mozilla remove prior installed rpms, but not reinstall the upgraded version? Is this a problem with the rpm structures, up2date with local directories or the rpm, (the program).

I am just confused with the behavior exhibited. Installing the desired rpms manually was not that difficult.

Jim

--
Your nature demands love and your happiness depends on it.