Install Issues (Longish)

I dunno if this is the right forum for this kind of thing, I can only assume so.

Alright, so I decided I'd give fedora core a try after a bit of a respite from messing with linux on my home computer.
(Previously, I had installed rh 8.0 and I accidentally erased my mbr record for winxp, and then the wlan wouldn't work, so I had to go back to windows, which caused issues reformatting, but left linux lying around on my other hd.)
So, in that state, I tried to install yarrow.
First, I did an "upgrade install,"  this time carefully NOT overwriting my mbr, instead only writing to my boot partition.
I made a boot disk, but it would not work (I have since tried several disks, they all read under windows, and under linux in rescue mode, but will not boot)
It loads vmlinuz, then complains that the boot failed.
Alright, so I found a website on dual booting: classes.csumb.edu/CST/CST434-01/world/DualBoot.html
And I followed the directions, with modification to make it work under cd linux rescue.
I summarize them here:
1) Boot into linux rescue mode
2) chroot /mnt/sysimage
3) dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
       --> /dev/hdb1 is my boot partition
       --> I have tried larger chunks (up to 64 kbs worth)
4) mount -t msdos /mnt/floppy
5) cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt/floppy
6) reboot
7) once windows starts, copy/move BOOTSECT.LNX to C:\
8) edit boot.ini to contain:
    C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"
Ok, so i reboot, and choose linux. the word grub appears, and nothing else.
I then did a clean install (reformat (automatic) and everything)  with the same results, except now nothing appears.
Suggestions? I'd be happy to use a boot disk/boot cd. But i can't seem to make the disk work, and the burner refuses to function in rescue mode.

Thanks in advance.
--
David Hall
den uparchei kanena koutali