Re: Fedora, Debian or Gentoo

WipeOut <wipe_out@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gentoo was not a choice for me because again there was a learning curve,
and the idea of compiling packages from source does not sit well with
me.. I am not really confident in my ability to build systems, like PHP
for example with all its included libs and other command line options,
from source and have them run reliably..

Actually, as I understand it, Gentoo takes care of all the dependency and configuration issues for you. It's based on the *BSD ports system. Yes, everything gets compiled on your computer, but you can install, say, all of KDE with a single command like "emerge kde." Of course, it may take several days to build! ;-)

Back on the subject of distro choice: I've been quite happy with Fedora on the workstations I've installed it on so far (both at home and at work), and we're planning on rolling out a new server in the next few weeks. We've settled on Fedora Core as the OS.

Kelson Vibber