Re: Java 1.3.1, NPTL kernel

Hugh McGuirk wrote:
I am evaluating Fedora, and i read somewhere the NPTL kernel implemented
by Redhat was incompatible with Sun's JDK earlier than 1.4.2.

I plan to use Fedora for development, but we have projects that must
work with JDK 1.3.1

I have been getting strange compile errors:
"compiler message file broken:
key=compiler.err.sun.io.MalformedInputException arguments=null, null,
null, null, null, null, null

I found a fix to this was simply to change the locale:
In /etc/sysconfig/i18n ,the line LANG="en_GB.UTF8"
to:
LANG="en_GB."

Will the above cause any other issues?

What other incompatibilities should i expect between Java1.3.1 and a
NPTL kernel?

Has anyone else come across problems with the JDK 1.3.1 or otherwise
compiling/running under Fedora?

Have a look in release notes (At fedora.redhat.com, there is mention of how to cope with old threading libs etc. Look for LD_ASSUME_KERNEL or something. That may be needed too.

I am a little suprised 1.3 worked at all on the NPTL kernel..

Cheers,
Michael