From: "Mark Loatman" <mloa727@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: failed upgrade lack of hard disk space
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:36:31 -0500

I am trying to upgrade to fedora from redhat 9. When it transfers the image to the hard disk, during the upgrade, it tells me the hard disk is out of space. There is 30gb of free space on the machine. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue?

I have bad news. Lately I have met that message around three times. Each time it has meant that the target partition has bad blocks.

The facility to check for bad blocks during installation formatting seems to have disappeared. But you can boot CD1 in rescue mode ("linux rescue") and check your hard disk with "badblocks".

Regards, TC

--
Terry Cole BA/BSc/BE/BA(hons) (tcole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
System Administrator, Dept. of Maths. & Stats., Otago Uni.