Re: Fedora as production server OS

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 04:17, Gokul Poduval wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>  My situation is also very similar. I have two servers running redhat 9
> and one running 7.3. I don't think I will go ahead with installing
> fedora on them yet, at least not until it proves itself.
>  Eventually, I am thinking of migrating to debian. Debian seems to have
> a nice record with security updates. I am sure it will require some
> retraining, but that probably worth the peace of mind.
>
> Regards,
> Gokul Poduval
> http://pod.homelinux.net
>
> On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 17:50, Rickard Svoren wrote:
> > Thanks for this email Peter
> >
> > We are not in need for any external support services today, we have been using
> > RHL since version 6.2 ( i found an old RHL 4.2 Box yesterday so there might
> > be even longer :-).
> >
> > My main concern is security updates and stability, and of course upgrading 1-2
> > times a year is possible but not desirable. I have been looking at Suse, Debian
> > and Slackware aswell but it seems like waste to change distro when we have RHL
> > competence in our company. But we do not like to get jailed into Redhat's
> > commersial
> > train....

An option not mentioned in this thread is sticking with 7.3 or 9 for a
while and see if the fedora-legacy team lives up to its goal of
providing fixes after the EOL of the RHL products.  If this is of
interest take a look at

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy

There may be a great opportunity for you to give back to the community
by testing or something if you are not a developer.

Bret