Re: Fedora as production server OS

At 03:08 11/17/2003, you wrote:

We are running RHL versions 7,7.3,8 for our productionservers today and i have just started
looking for another non commersial linux distribution.

I can see in the fedora mailing list that a lot of people seems to use fedora for desktops and
i am a bit courious if someone has started using fedora for example on an high volume
mailserver (10000 users +) ?

You have 10,000 users on a mail server, and you are not willing to pay _anything_ for your operating system, which provides everything you need to serve those users? Is this a massive charity mailserver, or is this a business? If it's a legitimate charity, I bet you can get Red Hat or someone to donate a license to you; and if it's a business, then why do you want everything for free?

To answer your question, I would look at the Fedora Legacy project. If that does not seem to fulfill your needs, I would move those 7.x servers (and maybe the 8.0 ones as well) to RHL-9 until mid-April 2004. This buys you six months to evaluate Fedora and other alternatives.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx