rpm tutorial

(as an intro, I very much like fedora thus far... I have been dying to
remove gentoo from my overworked laptop and fedora seems to be good so
far)

RPMs... I'm a gentoo-ite so RPM is a bit unfamiliar to me. I can work as
a novice with Yum thus far, but what I really want to know are two
things:

1. How to build my own RPM's from source files for programs not
currently in the tree and

2. How to integrate them into yum etc... (some sort of local yum
database?)

If there's a howto for this stuff or something that would be great, or
just some friendly pointers!

Thanks,
Jason