Re: need advice how to configure madwifi in fedora

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Peter Boy wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I happily own an IBM Thinkpad T40p with an integrated mini-pci wifi card
> with an atheros chipset. The madwifi project is developing a driver for
> it, using a binary-only hal library.
>
> I could compile and install the driver, I could manually configure it
> using iwconfig an ifconfig and I could successfully ping. So it
> basically works.
>
> But: How can I integrate it into the Fedora network configuration
> scenario?
>
> After reboot kudzu detected new hardware, added an "alias eth1 ath_pci"
> entry to /etc/modules.conf and created a
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 script which is mirrored in
> /etc/sysconfig/networking  drivers/ and profiles/default somehow.
>
> If I start redhat-config-network there is an appropriate device eth1.
> But
> - it is not recognized as a wireless device so I can'nt configure it
> and if I activate it
> - there is an error message: device eth1 seems to be missing.
>

> I just don't have a clue how to start that beast. Please, could someone
> give some advice or a hint, where to find documentation?

1. I think you'll have to use ath0 alias - not eth1 - as kudzu detected.
2. Because of this - redhat-config-network script doesn't work.

So I modify /etc/modules.conf and have 'alias ath0 ath_pci' (instead
of what kudzu added)

And I just copy arround stuff - and create
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0 and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-ath0 files - and start networking
manually by using 'ifup ath0'

Satish

[asterix]: cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0
# Atheros Wireless
DEVICE=ath0
TYPE=Wireless
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
DHCP_HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
MODE=Auto
RATE=Auto
ESSID=xxxxxx
[asterix]: cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-ath0
KEY=xxxxxxxxxx
[asterix]: