Re: Ximian GNOME

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 01:51, Glenn Remstedt wrote:
> list,
>
> I'm currently running RH9 with Ximian's "XD2". My plan is to move over to
> Fedora. In the release-notes of Fedora's homesite I've wrote something like;
> when upgrading RH9 running Ximian GNOME, this configuration is not
> supported. So how do I remove the Ximian from my system prior to upgrade
> to Fedora Core?

    YES.  I just had Matt's Gnome 2.4beta installed, and it pretty well
wiped out the upgrade to the point I couldn't save it.  Did an install,
instead.

    But if you're an apt user, there's a very easy way to make it right:

    1. Stop the X server, just for formality.  Less to go wrong.

    2. "rpm -ve --force `rpm -vqa | grep ximian`  will remove anything
with "ximian" in the RPM name.  This will break many things for the
moment.

    3. "apt-get -f install" this will fix everything again.  Man, I love
apt.

    4. Now you're safe to do an upgrade, as far as I know.

    I love Ximian's work.  It's beautiful.  It just doesn't get along
with anyone else's RPMs.

Brian FahrlÃnder                     Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                    http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262