Re: compiling apps for utf8

Am Mi, den 12.11.2003 schrieb Kai Thomsen um 00:39:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:15:46 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to compile applications for utf8 support.
> >
> > E. g. I installed zenity (a dialog replacement for gnome2), but it
> > wont show German special characters like à ä à ö à ü.
> > "Datei wählen" (Select File) becomes
> > "Datei whlen"
>
> There /is/ actually a typo in zenity-1.6/po/de.po, line 432 ("Whlen Sie
> eine Datei"),

Ahh, I see, thanks a lot! I've recompiled the package, everything is
fine :-)

> but if you refer to German umlauts or non-ASCII characters
> in general, I'll have to say: "Works for me."  The LANG variable is set
> to "de_DE.UTF-8".

Yes, most works, much better than RH 8 or 9.
The biggest bug is still openoffice. If you install new dictionaries via
OOOdi from the net, oo will immediately crash if you start spell check
or have activated on-the-fly correction and right click on a misspelled
word. The downloaded files are corrupt, i'll try to fix them with
recode.

> > And even the fedora packages have errors: The Gimp dialog "Layers and
> > Channels" is "Ebenen und Kanäle" in German, but the window title is
> > "... Kanle"
>
> Hmmm, I don't observe this problem here, either.  The "tip of the day"
> window has no content when the GIMP runs in a UTF-8 locale, though.

The Problem appears in kwin for me. Do you use KDE?
> > Is there a way to stop this? I don't want to switch back to iso8859-1
> > or 8859-15, because this causes even more problems.
>
> Which setting does LANG have on your machine before you start those
> programs?  (What does `locale' output?)
Ahh, of course I should have mentioned this before. Everything is set to
"LANG=de_DE.UTF-8"

> BTW, Evolution failed to specify the character encoding (UTF-8) in your
> posting, so my quotes above will appear garbled.

I know, I've changed to iso8859-1. :-)

Thanks a lot

Christoph