Re: SMB problem with RH9?

I may be wrong, however...

Can the other machines access the gateway with out any problem?

If that is the case, you will probably find that the gateway has an
external DNS server as it's primary server, does it have it self listed
as a DNS server?

Are you sure that it is a 3 minute 12 second delay? DNS time out's are
usually closer to around 30 seconds.

On the gateway, check /etc/resolv.conf and check to see the order in the
servers.

You can also time nslookup, and type server, to see what order that is
using (just as a double check).

Does that give any additional info?

Are there any error messages in either /var/log/messages or in
/var/log/samba/<logs>.

Try editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and upping the debug level, and
then restarting samba, as that may provide even more info.

Doug