Re: Laptop: X Autodetect External monitor and use Higher Resolution

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 14:09, Lewt @ Linux Warcry wrote:
> > Does anyone know if you can set things up where if you plugged up a
> > external monitor or dock the laptop it would use a higher resolution on
> > the larger monitor and maintain the current resolution on the laptop
> > monitor?
>
> Lewt,
> A laptop would require dual-headed video to do what you describe. I know
> of no laptop that simultaneously supports one resolution on the internal
> screen and a higher resolution on an external monitor. Several can do
> one or the other, but not both at the same time.

The closest I've seen is if you have have a Modes line with the external
screen's resolution first, and the laptop's resolution second, if the external
display is connected you'll get the higher resolution being piped to both, and
if not you'll get the lower resolution on the laptop.  That's the best I've
found.  That'll probably depend on your chipset as to whether it'll work mind.

jh

--
"However efficiently artificial light annihilates the difference between night
 and day, it never wholly eliminates the primitive suspicion that night people