Re: (no subject)

John Dean wrote:
Didn't work. I even tried it on another PC and it failed.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Jones" <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: (no subject)

3

> times from 3 different sites and get the same problem.

Try disabling DMA on the drive you're doing the check on.

This is a post from a VMWare forum:

Under VMWare workstation 4.05, when you install RedHat 9 from the 3
installation CDs, you get an error message that aborts the setup on the
second CD, saying that some packages (RPMs, especially xpdf... and xsri...)
are corrupted.

I tried for a few hours to get the solution, and some gave a few other
solutions on those forums, and I finally discovered that the easiest
solution is just to check the box named "Legacy emulation" in the VMWare CD
drive properties (under the Edit / virtual machine settings... menu) ;-)
That's all !

It doesn't help you specifically but it does indicate that there is possibly something about the second CD that's causing problems with some drives, and I'm guessing that CD2 for RH9 and Fedora are similar. "Legacy emulation" under VMWare disables anything smart about the virtual CD, I think stuff like DMA and the like.

Another thouught for a workaround is that you have presumably partitioned and formatted the hard disk by the time it gets to CD2. Can you create a directory somewhere that won't be fiddled with by the installation (eg in /home) and do a hard disk install using the extracted contents of the ISOs directly? I've never done a hard disk ionstall so I don't know how it works, but I guess you have to maintain a set directory structure and the like, and also you don't want to format the partition containing the installation files during the install ;-)

Trev
--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd., 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.