Re: ReiserFS, WiFI and 3D & DVDs

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 18:41, Dan Goodes wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Luis-Miguel Astudillo wrote:
>
> > Why is :
> > 3D is not as supported as in Window$, how come that it is so hard to make it work ?  You buy
> > good laptop or PCs but the only work in VESA mode.  I know you'll tell me to go to this site
> > and see at the manufacturers site but ATI do not provide any drivers for Linux.  The only thing
> > out there are patches and more patches.  Unless you use Linux for personnal usage a business
> > does not have time to look around and fiddle with the system.
>
> I'm sure other will fill you in better than I can, but the fact is that
> ATI don't release the specs for their cards/chipsets, so it's very hard
> work to get 3D support in a lot of cards... I have a Compaq with an ATI
> mobility radeon U1, which has complete and very good 2D support in Fedora
> - they're working on 3D, but it takes time, and debugging and
> development.
Have a Sager with Rage Mobility 9500,  1400 X 900 resolution and 3D is
sweet. As far a specs from vendors I will defrain to the expert on this
that being mhrarris. But, I do remember talk of NDA's and access to
specs from ATI to xfree86.

> > WiFi is not well supported either and many companies are demanding it.  Some airlines and
> > airports are moving from horizontal cabling to WiFi.  It simply cost less.
>
> Again, my Compaq notebook has built-in WiFi, which took a bit of setting
> up on RedHat 9, but works without a hitch in Fedora. the installer picked
> it up and chose the right driver and It Just Works (TM).
>
> > How come DVDs are not accessible by XINE and other Media Players ?  Why is the copyright an
> > issue ?  On Windows there isn't that issue so please help me understand the problem.  Too many
> > library's and patches to apply so it could work properly on Linux.
>
> Because the software to decode the DVD encryption and make them visible is
> patented technology that costs money. The open source alternative breaks
> laws in a lot of countries, but it is available if you're happy to wear
> the risks. I installed Xine and the libdvdcss package from their website,
> and it just happened cleanly.
>
> > PS. At times Linux just feels like Win'95 with all the fiddling around.
>
> Spare a thought for those who've been using it for many years. WHen I
> first played with linux, getting a GUI installed and working was far too
> much hard work, so I gave up and went back to Windows. Now, thanks to the
> hard work of a lot of generous people and companies, I can enjoy almost
> all the freedoms I have with Windows, without paying for it.
>
> just my $0.02.

When I fired up Slackware 3.1 many moons ago it was not trivial to get X
working, but perseverance pays off. Dam I still miss Openwindows :-(

> -Dan
Their are all types of users, some have the desire and others have the
wants.

Ted