Re: is fedora for me ?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, John Walsh wrote:

> As a current RedHat Linux 9.0 user - I'm wondering if Fedora is the
> replacement for me ?

Rether - yes. Support (patches, updates) for RHL9 ends in 5 months.
Since then you'll need to patch by yourself or change to Fedora or
other distro - but if you've liked RHL you'll like Fedora - IMHO it is
more polished than 9 but nothing realy revolutional. Just a decent good,
modern distro.

> Although I am a software developer - I did not want to get into a
> 'techi' relationship with Linux - I just wanted a system which will
> work.

And Fedora does that. :-) There are some little issues but they are very
little and are able to sole whithin a few Google clicks. Not much more
trouble then with RHL9.

> I don't mind doing configuration, but I didn't want to be chasing
> problems...

You can leave your current configs - in most cases it'll work.

> updates available (up2date),

Now (Fedora) you can do this also with APT and YUM, personally - never
liked up2date.

> My other options would be:
> RH Enterprise WS - not designed to be a server ?

No.

> RH Enterprise ES - all that I need (?), but expensive.

I don't think you need it - this stuff is for running big servers,
replacing Windows and UNIX on proffesional enteprice servers - not user
workstation.

> My only concern is the frequency of new releases and if this means
> that I will need to re-install at the same rate - and how that effects
> me keeping my server going with all its history (eg. mailman lists...
> which I am new to, so have not been through an upgrade yet, but I did
> find and half fix a bug in it).

You do not have to re-install. Just do update with one of mentioned
tools and it'll work.

> In fact, on the subject of doing re-installs (for an upgrade), I have
> a suggestion. Would it be possible to create a floppy disc with your
> install options stored on it, so that when you come to do your next
> install, you can pop in the floppy and click the button 'get options
> from floppy' ?

It is possible now. Even wit RHL it was possible. It does it at end of
install - you must have missed this.

> Or, is it possible to create a minimal list of all the 'top level'
> RPM's, such that selecting just those would force all the dependencies
> to be installed too...

Minimal installation is also possible.

--