Re: network profiles in FC1

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 05:04:19PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 09 November 2003 17:03, Jack Bowling wrote:
> > Speaking of network profiles, I seem to recall that somebody had
> > hacked a way to select them via the bootloader on startup rather than
> > waiting til after boot (which seems cumbersome). I did a google
> > search but couldn't find anything relevant. Pointers appreciated.
>
> You can specify the profile as a kernel option.  I do believe it's:
> netprofile=profilename
>
> So in grub, on the kernel line, just add that.  Duplicate the line and
> change the profile name for another kernel choice.
>
> Basically you'll have identical kernel choices, just one loads one
> profile, the other loads another.

After a couple of goes at this to figure it out, I am glad to report
that one can ignore the Help page where it says this does not work at
boot and instead set it up as Jesse states above. It works perfectly. My
main problem was doing the proper incantations with the GUI interface to
redhat-config-network. Once you realize that after creating a new
profile you are *in* the new profile, it all became clear. Now I can
create as many network profiles as I like and boot into them when
needed. Very useful for a road warrior such as myself. I suppose the
docs for r-c-n need updated...

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@xxxxxxx